Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cadillac Records Review

My mom and I had a girls nite out last nite. We have been eagerly awaiting this movie. We are both huge music fans…huge music movie fans and adore music history. So this movie was a must see for us. I have to admit that I went in prepared to like it. I am a huge fan of most of the lead actors. Jeffrey Wright is a genius. He is way underrated. Adrien Brody is also an excellent actor. Anyway this movie had me entranced from the opening scene. I have probably the weakest bladder in the world and a normal movie trip involves at least one trip to the ladies room. NOPE! I did not want to miss a scene. Columbus Short as Little Walter was brilliant. I have never really been a fan of his….but he really brought the character to life. Gabrielle Union’s portrayal of Muddy Water’s loving wife was her usual excellence. The most emotional scene in movie shows how moving she is as an actress. Beyonce was very good in this role. Many people have criticized her for continuing to play singers…but this role is like nothing she has ever done. When she is on screen, you do not see “Beyonce”, you see a woman who uses her tough exterior to hide her insecurities…a woman who uses drugs to fill the empty space inside her. My only complaint about Beyonce’s role was it wasn’t woven into the story as seamlessly as the other main characters. Eamon Walker’s “Howlin Wolf was a riot! He commanded the scene when ever he was present. And the music…..can’t forget the music. I have been playing the soundtrack for last week or so and its also a must have. I had already heard or listened to the original versions of most of the soundtrack and have to say I am very impressed with the actors choosing to sing instead of using the originals.  All in all I give this a Thumbs Up!imgad

cadillacrecordsposter

0 comments: